Well, as it gets late here in Boston, after having a wonderful date with my boyfriend, I must say we did a lot of book shopping. And it got me thinking… Why not do a book recommendation post!? So, here we go; my top 5 Art / Art History books! This includes both fiction and non fiction.
1. Hands down, The Art of Forgery by Noah Charney is my favorite art history read! If you like art crime and art forgery books, this is a must!
2. The Surrealist Manifesto by Andre Breton. If you are a lover of modern art or want a very challenging and interesting wacky read, I highly recommend this! And, if you want more reading about Surrealism, check out How About A Cup of Tea?!
3. Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder: Pronged Ants, Horned Humans, Mice on Toast, and Other Marvels of Jurassic Technology by Lawrence Weschler. This is a fascinating read about a modern day Wunderkammer in L.A. and how it came about. If that’s not enough Wunderkammer for you, check out Curious, are you?
4. What Are You Looking At?: The Surprising, Shocking, and Sometimes Strange Story of 150 Years of Modern Art by Will Gompertz. This is a fantastic overview of the history of modern art! For further background on modern art, check out Grab Your Sunday Paper and Enjoy it With a cup of Genius and Simplicity! and Man vs. Machine
5. Sennelier a History in Color by Pascale Richard. This is a beautiful book about one of my favorite paint companies! It has stories about all the modern masters buying their paints, as well as stories from the Sennelier family themselves. It was so hard to put this one down!
Just click the title of the book and it will bring you to the Amazon page, so you can pick it up and enjoy it on your own!
-The Art Historian