Hello everyone. I have some exciting news for all you Bostonians out there! There will be an exhibit of 26 drawings by Michelangelo at the MFA, beginning April 21st 2013 and ending on June 30th 2013. The exhibit is called, “Sacred and Profane, Master Drawings from the Casa Buonarroti.” It will be held in gallery 154. This is such a rare opportunity for us art history folks (and non art history folks too!). It is not common to have all of these drawings outside of Italy, let alone in Boston! But before you dive into the magnificent drawings, here is a quick bunch of facts about Michelangelo:
- Michelangelo was born on March 6th 1475 in the town of Caprese, Italy
- His first work was Battle of the Centaurs under the patronage of Lorenzo De’ Medici at the age of 17
- It took 4 months for Michelangelo to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and 6 months for the walls
- His work The Last Judgement caused much contoversy in the church because it had naked people in it
- When Michelangelo was little he got punched in the nose and was disfigured for the rest of his life!
Well now that you know a bit about Michelangelo, you can go into any museum and understand his genius a little more with ease! Enjoy the exhibit!